File Explorer is the one of the core and most important element of Windows 10 operating system. Previously known as window explorer, is a file manager application that is included with releases of the Microsoft Windows operating system from Windows 95 onwards. Users are still confused on how to Get Help With File Explorer in Windows 10. If you are one of them and need help then you are at right place.
The file manager on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 was renamed File Explorer and introduce new features such as a redesigned interface incorporating a ribbon toolbar, and a redesigned file operation dialog that displays more detailed progress and allows for file operations to be paused and resumed. The details pane in Windows Vista and 7 was removed and replaced with a narrower pane with no icons and fewer detail columns. But other details are displayed by hovering over the file’s name.
So, in this post, we are looking at How to Get Help With File Explorer in Windows 10. We also describe how to configure file explorer in Windows 10 step by step.
File Explorer in Windows 10 – New Features
Before moving to the customization and various solutions for file explorer, let us first have a look at the new features that it provides:-
- Home Tab:- Located on the top left corner of the file explorer, the new home tab makes most of the tasks and commands easier than before. Be it copying a file or be it deleting it, you can do it all with the home tab. In Windows 10, when you press Win+E, you’ll be taken to the Home Tab.
- Share Tab:- You can find share tab on the top left corner of the file explorer. This tab lets you share various files and folders wherever you want with a single click. For sharing a file, you’ll just have to select the file and click on the share tab. Apart from sharing files, you can also convert the files into zip format as well as burn them with the help of share tab.
- Quick Access:- This is one of the most helpful features of the new file explorer. With this feature, you can visit files and folders that you’ve frequently visited. There are mainly two sections in this feature; frequent folders and recent files.
- OneDrive:- Windows explorer in Windiws 8.1 allows you to save files directly to onedrive but you cannot sync the files in onedrive with your pc or local system. The new file explorer has overcome this drawback. You can now not only save files to onedrive, but also sync them with the system.
How to Get Help With File Explorer in Windows 10
How to Configure Windows 10 File Explorer to Open with This PC View
Step 1: In Windows 10, open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.
Step 2: In the View tab, find and click on Options, listed by default on the far right side of the ribbon.
Step 3: In the Folder Options window, make sure you’re on the General tab and then find the drop-down box labeled Open File Explorer To. Click the drop-down menu and select This PC. Click OK to save your changes and close the window.
So these are the simple steps to configure file explorer in window 10 OS. You don’t need to reboot or shutdown your PC for any further changes. Just open a new File Explorer window and you’ll see that it automatically displays this PC view by default. The Quick Access view is still there and can be viewed at any time, but users who prefer the more detailed This PC view won’t have to acknowledge Quick Access unless they want to.
Now, look the best way to get help with the file explorer on windows 10. File Explorer has many cool features that you still didn’t know. In this list, we will list some keyboard shortcuts and window 10 issues and how to fix window 10 issues by a simple method.
How to Customize Quick Access in Windows 10?
Quick access is the toolbar to access the most frequently used folders or files on a single screen. The most frequently used folders appear on the main screen of file explorer. So, quick access provides you an easy way to open folders that are too deep and requires various steps to find that particular folder. So, if you want any particular folder to appear on Quick access then follow these steps-
Step1- In window 10, Right-click and select the folder which you want to put on Quick access.
Step2- Select Pin to Quick access option appear in the drop-down menu.
Step3- Simply it’s done! The selected folder is on the quick access bar.
Steps to Remove selected folder from Quick Access-
If you want to remove your selected folder from quick access then follow the steps below:-
Step1- Right click and select the folder you want to remove from Quick Access bar.
Step2- Choose, “Unpin from Quick access” from the drop down menu.
Step3- Now the selected folder is hidden or deleted from the quick access bar.
One drive on File Explorer-
One drive is an online file hosting service or cloud server where you can store all your files, data through file explorer. This service is Operated by Microsoft and you need a Microsoft Account to use this service. You can share your files publicly or with specific peoples. Microsoft One Drive offers you 5 GB free storage, additional storage can be added by Microsoft subscriptions. You can do copy, paste, delete or rename any files as usual. One Drive is present on the left side of File Explorer.
Just drag and drop your files to One drive from right side to folder under One drive on the left panel. We also listed some keyboard shortcut to use file explorer as professional IT guys. Here are some keyboard shortcut to use file explorer-
File Explorer keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10
To work efficiently with Explorer, make use of these keyboard shortcuts, sourced fromMicrosoft – that will help you navigate quickly between folders and its settings.
- Windows Logo key + E: launch File Explorer.
- Alt + D – go to the address bar
- Ctrl + E – go to the search box
- Ctrl + F – go to the search box
- Ctrl + N – Open a new File Explorer window
- Ctrl + W – Close the current File Explorer window
- Shift + Delete – permanently delete file or folder
- Ctrl + D – move file or folder to recycle bin
- Alt + P – Show/Hide the preview pane
- Alt + Enter – Display the Properties dialog box for the selected file or folder
- Alt + Right arrow – View the next folder
- Alt + Up arrow – View the folder that the folder was in
- Alt + Left arrow – View the previous folder
- Ctrl + mouse scroll wheel – zoom in or zoom out on File Explorer interface. It will change size and appearance on File Explorer views.
- Ctrl + Shift + E – Display all folders above the selected folder
- Ctrl + Shift + N – Create a new folder
- Backspace – View the previous folder
- End – Display the last item in the active window
- Home – Display the top item in the active window
- F11 – Maximize or minimize the active window
- Num Lock + Asterisk (*) – Display all subfolders under the selected folder
- Num Lock + plus (+) – Display the contents of the selected folder
- Num Lock + Minus (-) – Collapse the selected folder
So these are the shortcut to use for the better interface of your Windows 10. Use these keyboard shortcut to customize your window Os.
Windows 10 File Explorer Hangs when Right clicks?
After updating Windows 10, file explorer start hangs when right clicks. So if you’re facing same problem “ File explored crashing after right clicking on it? Then follow the simple steps below-
Method 1- Using command prompt to fix file explorer Crash-
- Press, WIN Key + X key altogether. It will open a command prompt on your computer screen with administrator access.
- Type, “netsh” in command promote and hit the enter button.
Make sure you put that command without quotes (“).
- Now, type “Winsock reset” and press Enter.
All done! Now command prompt start the process and you will see the notification in the command prompt. Just, restart your PC to apply the effects.
If the first method is not working or file explorer still crashing on right click then follow these steps-
1.First of all, go to setting option and find/open the Windows updates.
2.After that open Advanced option >>View your update history>>Unistall updates.
3.Now, scroll the list of updates which are installed in your system and find the update “KB3081449”.
4.Right click on the “KB3081449” and click on uninstall it.
5.Restart your Pc to apply the effects and your file explorer stops hanging.
We hope that your problems with Windows File Explorer in Windows 10 is Solved.
We tried to know the solutions to most common problems faced by new users of Windows 10. If you can share these post with your friends on Social media sites, then they can also get help with file explorer in Windows 10.